Yes, it's August 4th, and it's Drew's first day of school, well... summer school that is! His school has a summer enrichmient program for all the elementary kids for the first 3 weeks in August, from 8:30 am - 11:30 am, Monday thru Friday.
This program is to allow the students to get ready for the upcoming school year, and for the Kindergarteners - to get used to going to school for the first time. I think that it's a great concept and I am so glad that Drew is able to do it. But, on the other hand, it has cut his summer a month short in a way. Although, he still has the afternoons to enjoy the last of the lazy summer days.
We picked him up in the cafeteria. The school offers free lunch (and breakfast) during the summer program. I figured that we would let him try it, so we could get an idea of the kind of things they offer for lunch. Today was a typical "bag lunch" that I remember from being in school: turkey and cheese (with a packet of mayo) sandwich, a plum, a bag of Lay's potato chips, apple juice, chocolate milk (from our local creamery, none the less!).
Drew was happy to see me and Colin. He said that he saved some of his lunch to share with us, so we packed it up and went home. Even on a day of new, exciting things, he never ceases to amaze me on his generocity!
On our way out, I asked him,"So, how was school today?" He said, "Great!". I continued, "What did you guys do all morning?" His response, "We played, learned about the color blue and the shape the rectangle, and we even went outside ont he playground!" It sounds like a great day to me!
The teacher slipped in a letter to the parents in his bookbag. It looks like there is going to be a color an shape for the first half of the session and then they will do nursery rhymes for the second half of the session. Nothing too earth-shattering, but something none the less. By the end of summer school, the first day of "real" Kindergarten is going to be a breeze - on both Drew and me!
This program is to allow the students to get ready for the upcoming school year, and for the Kindergarteners - to get used to going to school for the first time. I think that it's a great concept and I am so glad that Drew is able to do it. But, on the other hand, it has cut his summer a month short in a way. Although, he still has the afternoons to enjoy the last of the lazy summer days.
We picked him up in the cafeteria. The school offers free lunch (and breakfast) during the summer program. I figured that we would let him try it, so we could get an idea of the kind of things they offer for lunch. Today was a typical "bag lunch" that I remember from being in school: turkey and cheese (with a packet of mayo) sandwich, a plum, a bag of Lay's potato chips, apple juice, chocolate milk (from our local creamery, none the less!).
Drew was happy to see me and Colin. He said that he saved some of his lunch to share with us, so we packed it up and went home. Even on a day of new, exciting things, he never ceases to amaze me on his generocity!
On our way out, I asked him,"So, how was school today?" He said, "Great!". I continued, "What did you guys do all morning?" His response, "We played, learned about the color blue and the shape the rectangle, and we even went outside ont he playground!" It sounds like a great day to me!
The teacher slipped in a letter to the parents in his bookbag. It looks like there is going to be a color an shape for the first half of the session and then they will do nursery rhymes for the second half of the session. Nothing too earth-shattering, but something none the less. By the end of summer school, the first day of "real" Kindergarten is going to be a breeze - on both Drew and me!
1 comment:
Aww sounds like he has a great day just like my two! I think thats awesome that they have this 3 week program to better adjust them for the coming school year! How is Colin dealing with all his extra alone time with mommy??
Post a Comment