Monday, April 28, 2008

Potty Bonding

So, Colin is starting to potty train. Not with any push whatsoever from me, but from watching his big brother. He is doing the pull at his groin and "pee pee" or pat on his back side and "poopy" to let me know that he has already gone. But, what has been come a habit (for the past few days, mind you) is that he wants to pee before he gets into the tub each night - exactly what his brother does. And, after some grunting and groaning and even leaning on the back of the toilet seat... he manages to squeeze out a few drops.

The reason why I am writing about this is that Drew is becoming the big brother of the year with supporting his brother's potty efforts. He is the first to say, "Did you go on the potty, Colin?" and when he responds with a gleefully, "Yeah!" Drew gives him the clapping and cheering that is so genuinely enthusiastic... it just puts a huge smile on my face. Which, in turn, allows me to breathe a sigh of relief that this potty training thing is going to be so different and so much easier than it was the first time. Plus, it also reminds me how mature Drew has gotten in the 2 years that he has been a big brother. He is so supportive and loving towards Colin and that bond is something that will never break, even through the thick and thin of life -- it's a beautiful thing!

2 comments:

xmas said...

Way to go for both of them! That reminds me...do you have plans for your cloth diapers?

Laura said...

I was getting ready to consign them. Want to come over and take a look at what I have? The smallest I have start at 10 lbs, and I go right on up!