Sunday, June 17, 2007

Farmer's Market

Went to the Farmer's Market this weekend. It's the first time that I've been to one by myself. I've gone a few times with friends/coworkers, but never alone (well, I was with the boys), but without adult supervision to tell me what all the vegetables were. Surprisingly, I left with few heads of lettuce and a bunch of scallions, with excitement to go back next week. Drew loved being able to walk around, Colin loves to people watch in the stroller, and I loved it all! The fresh produce makes me excited to cook! It also makes me excited to buy from local farmers that I KNOW that I am going to support, instead of a faceless person, compared to when I shop at the store. Having more of an entrepreneurial mindset, this means a lot more to me know, than it would have if it were 4 years ago.

I was excited to tell my mom all about it on the phone this afternoon. She grew up on a farm, so she knows first hand what it's like for a farmer to work hard on the farm and then reap the rewards of the harvest and being able to support the family on it's produce. She was happy that I went and enjoyed it so much. I really want her to come and visit, so we can go together. I think she would love it!

I can't believe that I am this excited about produce, but I think it goes hand in hand with wanting to treat my body better with healthier foods. It's like a win-win for me!

No comments: